ইংরেজি দ্বিতীয় পত্র
দেওয়ান মোহাম্মদ এমদাদ হোসেন, সহকারী অধ্যাপক, মাইলস্টোন কলেজ, উত্তরা, ঢাকা
মডেল টেস্ট (পূর্ণমান-১০০)
Part A : Grammar (Marks : 60)
1. Use articles where necessary. Put a cross (–) where no article is needed. 0.5 x 10=5
Patriotism is (a) _ noble virtue. It inspires (b) _ man to dedicate his life for the freedom of his (c) _ country. (d) _ man without patriotism is no better than (e) _ beast. A true patriot is honoured by (f) _ his countrymen. He thinks for (g) _ betterment of his country. On (h) _ other hand, (i) _ unpatriotic man thinks only of his own interest. Those who die for (j) _ country are true patriots.
2. Complete the text with suitable prepositions. 0.5 x 10=5
A good teacher is an architect of a nation who is never indifferent (a) _ his students. He plays an important role (b) _ building up an educated nation. He dispels the darkness (c) _ ignorance (d) _ the lot of a nation. Thus he greatly contributes (e) _ the development of his nation. Like an actor he has to suit his act according (f) _ the need of his audience which is his class. He is a clear speaker (g) _ a good, strong and clear voice which is (h) _ his control. Everybody has something valuable (i) _ him and a good teacher discovers that hidden quality. He always clings (j) _ his idealism.
3. Complete the following sentences with suitable phrases/words given in the box. 0.5 x 10=5
(a) The man _ in Dhaka. He was famous both as a poet and a novelist.
(b) _ Diamond jumped upon the table than the lighted candle fell on the papers.
(c) You _ apply to the Principal of your college. He will surely see on it.
(d) Edison was very naughty. He was _ doing many harmful activities.
(e) I asked the boy, “_ with you? Why do you look so pale.”
(f) He is honest. He _ suffer than take bribe
(g) _? How can a rope bite a man? It is quite impossible.
(h) He tells the matter _ he knew it.
(i) _ is a good idea to walk in the morning.
(j) A good citizen _ perform a lot of things.
4. Complete the sentences with suitable clauses/phrases. 0.5–10=5
(a) Everybody will attend to the party. He is so weak that _ from bed.
(b) Self help is the best help. Allah helps the man who _.
(c) It has been raining all day long. I will not be able to play in the afternoon. I wish _.
(d) Maruf went to Boi Mela. He took a handsome amount of money so that _.
(e) Kamal did not know that your father was in hospital. If he had known, _.
(f) I forgave him. He confessed that _.
(g) We were eagerly waiting for the arrival of the chief guest. Scarcely had he arrived _.
(h) _ after the rain had stopped. We were late.
(i) Bashar talked much. He behaved as if _.
(j) He was very careful of maintaining a good health. He takes physical exercise with a view to _.
5. Fill in the gaps with the correct form of verbs. 0.5 x 10=5
At present, Bangladesh (a) _ (consider) an emerging progressive country. It is no longer (b) _ (regard) as a poor country. Our per capita income (c) _ (increase) day by day. All the economic variables (d) _ (function) very well. If we want (e) _ (continue) the economic flow, our internal management should (f) _ (develop). Political stability in this connection (g) _ (need). In order to
(h) _ (ensure) our onward march, foreign investment is very crucial. It is high time
(i) _ (understand) the fact. For building a prosperous Bangladesh, wholehearted efforts are the demand of present time lest we (j) _ (lag) behind.
6. Read the text and change the sentences as directed. 1 x 5=5
(a) Everybody believes that education is the backbone of a nation (Simple)
(b) Only education can give us the light of knowledge (Negative)
(c) Man is superior to all creatures in the universe because of his intellect (Compound)
(d) Though he has intellect and conscience, he has lagged behind in humanity (Simple)
(e) Now, mankind is passing a very critical time (Exclamatory)
7. Change the narrative style by using direct/indirect speech. 05
“Have you saved something for the future?” said the rich man. “No,” said the cobbler. “I am happy with the present and think little about tomorrow,” “No, that would not do,” said the rich man. “I like to see you above want. Have this money and keep it.”
8. Identify the unclear pronoun references in the following paragraph. Where necessary, rewrite the sentence so that all pronoun references are clear. 05
The Taj Mahal is surrounded by a beautiful garden and it is a long pool that stretches out in front of the building. He can see the beauty of the Taj Mahal in this reflection in the pool water. Visitors come to see these wonderful building at different times of the day since it assumes a different look at different times. Most people like this best on moonlit nights.
9. Read the following passage and use modifiers as directed in the blank spaces. 0.5–10=5
Prantik, (a) _ (post-modify the noun with an appositive), passes his time playing (b) _ (use a noun adjective to pre-modify the noun) games after returning from school. It is a (c) _ (use intensifier to pre-modify adverb) bad habit and may be one of the causes why he is getting bulky day by day. He can (d) _ (post-modify the verb with an adverb) utilize the time by playing (e) _ (use an adjective to pre-modify the noun) games. Perhaps, he does not know (f) _ (use article to pre-modify the noun phrase) importance of physical exercise. He should know that one cannot concentrate on (g) _ (use determiner to pre-modify the noun) work without a sound mind and a sound mind lives in a sound body. Besides, without physical exercise, one cannot expect (h) _ (use an infinitive phrase to post-modify the verb) a sound body. Physical exercise (i) _ ( use adverb to pre-modify the noun) increases one’s appetite and sound sleep. So, it is high time, Rana played outdoor games (j) _ (post-modify the verb with prepositional phrase).
10. Use appropriate sentence connectors in the blanks of the following passage. 0.5 x 10=5
Honesty is a noble virtue. The man, (a) _ possesses this rare quality is the happiest man on the earth. To be honest, a man should have trustworthiness (b) _ nobody trusts a liar. A liar may prosper for the time being. (c) _ ultimately he goes to the dogs.(d) _, we should be honest. It is said that honesty is the best policy (e) _ dishonesty is the sign of downfall. Allah helps those who are honest. (f) _ dishonest people are cursed. Childhood is the best time (g) _ children should be taught honesty. It is seen that children follow their parents (h) _ parents should be honest. (i) _ children should be allowed to mix with those friends who are honest. (j) _ they can mould their characters.
11. Read the passage and then write the synonym and antonym of the words as directed below. 0.5 x 10=5
The War of Independence from the occupation of Pakistan was took place in 1971. The Pakistani ruling clique and their vested interest group began to treat Bangladesh which was then East Pakistan as a colony of West Pakistan. Therefore, under the leadership of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman a violent mass movement was launched which resulted in a landslide victory of the Awami League at the election of national assembly of Pakistan with his absolute majority in the parliament. But under the cover of negotiation with the Awami League leaders president Yahya Khan hatched a conspiracy. On the fateful night of March 25, 1971, Bangabandhu was taken prisoner to West Pakistan and the Pakistani army cracked down upon the innocent and armless people of East Pakistan.
(a) occupation (synonym) (b) treat (synonym) (c) leadership (synonym) (d) launch (antonym) (e) victory (antonym) (f) negotiation (synonym) (g) leaders (antonym) (h) hatched (synonym) (i) conspiracy (synonym) (j) innocent (antonym)
12. There are ten errors in the use of punctuation marks in the following texts. Rewrite the texts correcting the errors. 0.5 x 10= 5
“Good morning where are you going” said the merchant. I was just coming to see you said the youth.‘‘What do you want” Please help me to earn my bread by the labor of my hands.‘‘Do you really want work” said the merchant. Yes if you have any.‘‘Then follow me and carry the box from the shop to my house.” ‘‘By Allah I am really grateful to you,” said the youth.
Part- B : Composition (Marks : 40)
13. Write an application to the Principal of your college for multimedia facilities in your college. 08
14. Suppose, you are a reporter of a national English daily. Write a report on a book fair you visited. 08
15. Write a paragraph on ‘Premature Marriage’. 10
16. Write a short composition on ‘Wonders of Moder Science’. 14
1. (a) a (b) a (c) x(d) The/a (e) a (f) x (g) the (h) the (i) an (j) the
2. (a) to (b) in (c) of (d) from (e) to (f) to (g) with (h) under (i) in/inside (j) to
3. (a) was born (b) No sooner had (c) had better (d) used to (e) What’s the matter (f) would rather (g) What do you mean (h) as though
(i) It (j) has to
4.(a) he cannot wake up.
(b) helps himself.
(c) I could play in the afternoon.
(d) he could buy a lot of books.
(e) he would have gone there.
(f) he did the mistake.
(g) when we started clapping.
(h) We reached there.
(i) he had known everything.
(j) keeping his health sound.
5. (a) is considered (b) regarded (c) is increasing (d) are functioning (e) to continue (f) be developed (g) is needed (h)ensure (i) to understand (j) should/might lag
6. (a) Everybody believes education to be the backbone of a nation.
(b) Nothing but education can give us the light of knowledge.
(c) Man has intellect and so he is superior to all creatures in the universe.
(d) Inspite of having intellect and conscience, he has lagged behind in humanity.
(e) What a critical time mankind is passing now!
7. The rich man asked the cobbler if he
(c) had saved something for future. The cobbler replied in the negative. He added the he was happy with the present and thought little about the next day. Then the rich man disagreed and said that that would not do. He (rich man) told the cobbler that he liked to see him
(c) above want. He then told the cobbler to have that money and keep it.
8. The Taj Mahal is surrounded by a beautiful garden and there is a long pool that stretches out in front of the building. One can see the beauty of the Taj Mahal in its reflection in the pool water. Visitors come to see this wonderful building at different times of the day since it assumes a different look at different times. Most people like the Taj best on moonlit nights.
9. (a) a student /my younger brother/a school boy (b)computer (c) very (d) easily (e) outdoor (f) the (g) any (h) to have/enjoy/possess (i) also (j) in the afternoon.
10. (a) Who (b) because/as (c) But (d) Therefore/So (e) whereas (f) Moreover/Besides (g) when (h) so (i) Besides (j) Thus
11. (a) control/capture (b) behave (c) captaincy (d) start/begin (e) defeat (f) liaison/communication (g) followers(h) planned (i) plot/scheme (j) cursed.
12.“Good morning, where are you going?” said the merchant. “I was just coming to see you,” said the youth.‘‘What do you want? ” “Please, help me to earn my bread by the labor of my hands.” ‘‘Do you really want work?” said the merchant. “Yes, if you have any.” “Then follow me and carry the box from the shop to my house.” “By Allah, I am really grateful to you.” said the youth.
[Composition অংশের উত্তর আগামী সংখ্যায় ছাপা হবে]